While you may not start your practice with staff in mind, you may soon find yourself needing help and thus considering your options for staffing your law firm. There are a variety of ways in which you can staff your firm. If you have a physical space, you may want someone in-person, while a virtual office might employ virtual staff or services.
Importantly, when contemplating adding staff, you will need to ask and answer a number of questions including:
- Do you have funds to support and retain staff?
- How will you pay staff? Do you need a payroll service?
- Should staff be classified as an independent contractors or employees?
- Do you have policies and procedures that set out expectations and guidelines to adhere to?
- How will you go about searching and hiring?
- Do you know how to fire an employee?
- What else do you need to support staff (i.e. worker’s comp, disability, etc.)?
Respectful Workplace Policy Model (by The Law Society of Manitoba)
STAFFING SERVICES (NON-EXCLUSIVE LISTING)